Thursday, January 23, 2014

Having "coffee" with a fan


A friend has always strongly discouraged any meeting with any fan of my books. Their point was why ruin their illusions with an actual meeting since I could never live up to what they imagined about me. Fans notoriously think you are the books you write and "do" quite expertly what your characters do in them.

Recently he vigorous  warned me not to take up a 'coffee" invite made by a much younger stunner who was pretty smoking. Said fan had continually fantasized about reenacting certain scenes with their author. Ah literary types huh :). This friend quoted me that Rita Hayworth line on meeting with any fans for…coffee.... and the resultant  "next morning" disillusionments of the fan: “They took Gilda to bed but they woke up with me”.

Yes good advice which I ignored for....

All I can say is that seems to be looking at it from the wrong angle. In the end honey who cares who THEY woke up too. I woke up to a buff thirty-two year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment